Mobile Computing and Mobile Storage Device Encryption Policy
The Chemistry department is required to comply with UF policies and standards for mobile computing devices and mobile storage devices (see links below), as such we will encrypt all UF owned mobile computing devices, mobile storage devices AND all personal mobile computing devices and/or mobile storage devices used to do UF business, access UF resources, or contain UF data.
End users who are using mobile computing devices or mobile storage devices purchased with UF state funds or research funds are required to visit the Chemistry IT shop for assistance encrypting and verifying the encryption of their mobile device. For personal devices, the IT Shop will assist all users with the task of encrypting and verifying the encryption of all their mobile devices. Users may encrypt their personal mobile devices on their own however, if the device is used for UF business or to access UF resources it must be encrypted and it must report it’s encryption status.
The following common scenarios highlght common instances where end users will be required to encrypt their laptops:
- All mobile device purchased with state or research funds including but not limited to phones, tablets, phablets, laptops, USB flash drives, external hard drives.
- All personal mobile devices used for UF business or to access UF resources including but not limited to phones, tablets, phablets, laptops, USB flash drives, external hard drives.
- Accessing UF emails and UF WiFi are common examples UF business and UF resources.
- UF Mobile Computing and Storage Device Policy
- UF Mobile Computing and Storage Device Standard
- FAQs about UF’s Mobile Computing and Storage Device Policy and Standards
For assistance encrypting your mobile computing devices and mobile storage devices please email the IT Shop: firstname.lastname@example.org.